TEMPORARY Air Conditioning & Heating Mechanic
Company: State Center Community College District
Posted on: November 23, 2022
Under general supervision, installs, operates, inspects,
troubleshoots, maintains and repairs heating, ventilation, air
conditioning, refrigeration equipment and chiller/boiler systems;
and performs related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the
various types of work that may be performed. The omission of
specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to
* Installs, operates, inspects, troubleshoots, performs
preventative service, maintains and repairs air-conditioning and
heating systems and multiple chiller/boiler plants across the
District, including hot water boilers, heat pumps, motors,
heating/ventilating units, reciprocating chillers, cooling towers,
condensers, energy storage systems, air compressors, refrigeration
units, high- and low-voltage controllers and Variable Frequency
* Monitors and maintains/repairs chiller/boiler plants; adds or
removes oil from chillers; adds/treats chemicals for heating and
cooling systems and adjusts chemical feeds and controllers; adds
refrigerant; changes filters; greases motors and pumps;
changes/adjusts fan belts; adds/treats chemicals for cooling tower
water and adjusts chemical feeds and controllers; takes chiller
readings on amperage, temperature and pressure, analyzes data and
assesses operating conditions to achieve optimum chiller
performance; performs visual and operating sounds inspections of
all components and controls; schedules and programs condensing
boiler operation; adjusts boiler lockout temperatures.
* Installs, analyzes, maintains, repairs and programs the
District's energy management system and all its components;
uploads, downloads and backs up controller configurations; writes
logic; replaces switches, sensors, actuators, transducers, and
low-voltage transformers; commissions new devices and decommissions
old systems that fail.
* Maintain/repairs air handlers ensuring water flow and airflow;
troubleshoots and repairs evaporative coils, motors and actuators;
calibrates pneumatic transmitters; replaces starters, sensors and
digital controllers when necessary.
* Inspects, installs and modifies/repairs air-conditioning, heating
and refrigeration systems; repairs ice machines.
* Attends construction planning meetings and provides input on HVAC
and control systems for new/remodel construction projects.
* Coordinates, assigns and evaluates the work of contractors
involved in HVAC projects; works from blueprints and schematics;
plans and lays out work; verifies functionality and commissions the
work completed by contractors.
* Provides training, support and assistance to other building
maintenance employees; leads small projects by assigning,
scheduling and monitoring work for completeness, accuracy and
conformance with District requirements and regulatory mandates.
* Operates a variety of hand and power tools and test equipment
used in the trade.
* Creates and maintains electronic service records; maintains a
variety of records, including blueprints, sketches, diagrams and
logs; writes reports as required; assists in developing
specifications for work to be completed by others.
* Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of historically
minoritized groups and participates in professional development
activities to increase cultural competency to enhance equity-minded
practices within the District.
* Assists other journey-level maintenance personnel in cooperative
* Performs related duties as assigned.
Employment Standards / Minimum Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Standard principles, practices, methods and tools of the heating
and air-conditioning trade.
* Materials, methods and manual/electrical tools used in the
operation and repair of heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration
systems, and chiller/boiler plants.
* Applicable building codes, ordinances and regulations of federal,
state and local authorities pertaining to heating, air conditioning
* Air compressor and pneumatic control operation, installation,
maintenance and repair.
* Cooling tower and boiler water treatment.
* Welding, soldering and pipefitting techniques.
* The District's energy management system and its components.
* Health and safety regulations and policies.
* Recordkeeping practices and techniques.
* Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
* Shop and trades mathematics.
Skills and Abilities to:
* Perform journey-level skilled mechanical maintenance duties in
the inspection, repair, installation and alteration of the
District's chiller/boiler plants and heating, ventilation,
air-conditioning and refrigeration systems and related equipment
* Calibrate systems.
* Perform preventive maintenance and servicing of equipment and
* Diagnose defects and install, repair and maintain heating,
ventilation, refrigeration and air-conditioning systems.
* Interpret and work from plans, diagrams and specifications.
* Follow oral and written instructions.
* Operate specialized machinery, equipment and tools utilized in
* Effectively engage and support historically minoritized groups by
addressing issues of equity and improving culturally responsive
* Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
* Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
* Work independently with little direction.
* Meet schedules and timelines.
* Maintain records.
* Operate a truck and electric cart.
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all
those encountered in the course of work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent, completion of a HVAC
instructional program, and three years of journey-level experience
in the installation, maintenance and repair of chiller-boiler
plants; or an equivalent combination of training and
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain
insurability under the District's vehicle insurance program.
EPA-approved Section 608 Type I and II refrigeration
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical and mental demands described here are representative
of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the
essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
While performing the duties of this class, employees perform
moderate to heavy physical labor with constant standing and walking
for extended periods; walk over rough or uneven surfaces;
frequently push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects weighing up to
75 pounds; bend, stoop and kneel; use manual dexterity to safely
operate power equipment; operate motorized equipment and vehicles,
including a truck and electric cart to travel to various campuses
and locations on campus.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly
required to use written and oral communication skills; read and
interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve basic
problems; use basic math and mathematical reasoning; observe and
interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new
skills; work under deadlines with interruptions; and interact with
District staff, other organizations and the public.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential duties of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts, in
outside weather conditions and is exposed to extreme weather and
wet or humid conditions, fumes, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The
noise level is often noisy.
The employee may be required to travel to locations other than
assigned work site and to adjust to work schedule changes and
requirements to work overtime.
Only the most qualified applicants will be invited to interview for
Keywords: State Center Community College District, Fresno , TEMPORARY Air Conditioning & Heating Mechanic, Professions , Fresno, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!