HVAC Controls Technician needed in Antarctica!
Company: PAE Incorporated
Posted on: October 7, 2021
Supporting the Most Exciting
and Meaningful Missions in the World
HVAC Controls Technician needed in Antarctica!
Supports the National Science Foundation managed United States
Antarctic Program as part of the Antarctic Support Contract (ASC).
Controls Technician will perform maintenance or construction work.
Tasking is based on ASC schedule requirements.
GENERAL DUTIES (not all inclusive):
- Responsible for the commissioning, diagnosis, calibration,
maintenance, and repair of environmental-control systems and
processes, utilizing knowledge of electronics, direct digital
control (DDC), airflow, hydronic systems, refrigeration theory, pH
sensors, flow meters, electrical meters and system control
- Analyzes, diagnoses, maintains, and repairs direct digital
control system components.
- Performs preventive maintenance, component replacement, and
corrections as needed.
- Maintains adherence to the configuration control process and
proposes changes to the existing systems via the Configuration
Change Request (CCR) process in concurrence with the responsible
engineers for each area.
- Works with the Controls Engineer, Power Plant Engineer, Power
Plant Supervisor(s), Facilities Maintenance Supervisor, and the
Facility Engineer to keep all control systems, mechanical and
electromechanical field devices operating according to the basis of
- Works to keep these systems operating as efficiently as
- Timely response to emergency service calls during and outside
of normal working hours.
- Accurate and thorough documentation of hours worked, tasking
performed, materials used, and processes involved
- Advise immediate Supervisor of job progress and material/labor
- Accomplish tasking utilizing design drawings, specifications,
and wiring diagrams.
- Follow established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs),
suggest revisions as needed, and create SOPs as directed
- Perform tasking outdoors in environmentally challenging
conditions including wind and extreme cold weather
- Use solid decision making ability and sound judgment to safely
and effectively solve problems.
- Proactively identify any unsafe conditions or hazards and
communicate them effectively
- Work directly with other departments to plan and complete
- Learn and use computer-based labor, material, and maintenance
- May deploy to remote research support facilities for day trips
or extended periods (McMurdo only)
- Occasionally utilize the assistance of other station personnel
to complete tasking, or assist other trades or departments with
- Comply with all ASC Environmental, Safety and Health (ESH),
Waste Management and Quality Assurance requirements.
- Participate in Work Center Safety Program and ASC safety
- Participate in community programs such as “house-mouse”
(chores), “daisy-picking” (station clean-up), “GASH” (galley
clean-up at Palmer), and recycling efforts.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Minimum five years of experience in the maintenance of complex
controls systems with multiple interactions
- Knowledge of how DDC, PLC, and/or other industrial control
- Previous experience with DDC, PLC or similar Ladder-Logic
- Knowledge and understanding electromechanical and controls
- Troubleshooting experience with some or all of the following
equipment, not limited to: HVAC, furnaces, boilers,
generators, heat exchangers, pumps, fans, modulating valves, fluid
flow and air flow systems, heat trace, electrical and controls
- Ability to read and interpret design drawings, specifications,
- Minimum intermediate level computer skills with MS Office Suite
experience to include Word, Excel and Outlook
- Be able and willing to learn and effectively utilize
computer-based labor, inventory, and maintenance tracking
- Possess the competencies, willingness, and ability to perform
the duties of position
- Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts,
assemblies and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities
including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment,
crawling, and working outdoors.
- Successful completion of Medical and Dental examinations
required by the NSF for deployment to Antarctica.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
- Experience with Alerton Ascent Compass Software
- Experience with Alerton controls
- Experience installing DDC (Direct Digital Control)
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by
law. PAE is a drug free workplace.
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for
employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender,
national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status,
ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure,
medical condition including genetic characteristics or information,
veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the
essential functions of the job can be performed with or without
reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under
federal, state, or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Keywords: PAE Incorporated, Fresno , HVAC Controls Technician needed in Antarctica!, Other , Fresno, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!