Senior Manager - Docs Content
Posted on: January 13, 2022
We're looking for a Documentation Manager to help build and
support a team of GitHub's technical writers.
The Documentation Manager will lead technical writers as they
create helpful and highly technical product documentation. They
will mentor, coach, and sponsor technical writers on the Docs
Content team, prioritize work across the team, and communicate with
teams across the company about the future of GitHubs products. They
will also be well-versed in GitHub's products and processes and
will lead and contribute to process and content improvements for
the Docs Content team.
The Documentation Manager should be an adept writer, able to
provide reviews on the content design plans and technical
documentation writers create. They must be empathetic as a writer,
able to put themselves in the user's position and help anticipate
The Docs Content team is highly distributed and we embrace an
environment of asynchronous communication. You'll need strong
communication skills and the ability to build working relationships
with people in locations around the globe.
If you're a leader with a desire to empower writers of all skill
levels to do the best work of their careers, we'd like to hear from
- Prioritize and plan the Docs Content team's work alongside
other Docs Content managers
- Meet 1-1 with team members on a regular basis
- Plan and support career development
- Give guided performance feedback
- Serve as a coach and mentor to a team of technical writers
- Establish and maintain strong relationships across the GitHub
- Keep communication channels open within the GitHub
- Collaborate closely with other Docs Content managers on process
and team-wide decisions
- Recruit, develop, and retain great technical writers
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills
- Strong user advocate
- Experience working collaboratively with a team of writers or
- Empathetic leader with a growth mindset, for themselves and
- Ability to compassionately give and receive editorial and
- Strong ability to plan and prioritize complex writing projects
across a team with high attention to detail along the way
- Excellent communication skills, especially when working with a
It would be helpful to have:
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub
- Experience working across cross-functional teams with competing
- Experience creating and reviewing technical content
- Experience creating automated documentation tools
Here is an example of what we would expect:
- Month 1, you become well-versed in the collaboration and
communication styles of GitHub. You onboard as a writer to better
understand the day to day work of your team.
- Month 2, you begin having regular 1:1s with writers on your
team and leading weekly team syncs.
- Month 3, you are leading discussions with the Docs Content team
and Engineering/Product/Design (EPD) squads around documentation
approach for new features.
- Month 4, you are regularly contributing to prioritization and
- Months 56, you are fully integrated into your new role,
consistently coaching and sponsoring the writers on your team,
prioritizing incoming work for the team in collaboration with
product managers, and contributing to Docs team discussions on
process and priority.
These are just examples of the milestones you can expect to hit in
your first six months at GitHub. You will work closely with the
Docs Content Team manager to define and adjust goals as you
integrate into the team.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers
to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems,
and to create the worlds most important technologies. We foster a
collaborative community that can come togetheras individuals and in
teamsto create the future of software and make a difference in the
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the
Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything
is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that
allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives.
We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ),
where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our
Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list
of where we can hire here:
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated,
focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program
with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where
we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and
lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from
people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against
employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression,
sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin,
citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any
other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us
know if there's any way we can make the interview process better
for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any
questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Keywords: Github, Fresno , Senior Manager - Docs Content, Executive , Fresno, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!