VP Learning & Instruction
Posted on: January 13, 2022
The Vice President, Learning & Instruction (VP, Learning and
Instruction) is responsible for advancing the College 's mission of
offering competency-based programs to support adult learner labor
market transitions, by providing vision, leadership, and management
of all learning and instruction programs and services. Calbright
College is looking for an effective, inclusive, creative, and
collaborative leader to advance a shared vision of student-centered
innovation and excellence rooted in emerging trends in the
workforce. This position works collaboratively with the divisions
across the college, in particular Student Services and Success,
Workforce Strategy & Innovation, Research & Development, and
Product and Technology in the development and execution of this
work. The VP, Learning & Instruction also serves as a member of the
college 's executive leadership. The successful candidate will be
an individual who is passionate about the College 's mission and
vision and has the leadership, knowledge, and management skills to
engage multiple stakeholders in the design and practice of
high-impact learning experiences critical to driving strong
outcomes for students. Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
The duties below are representative of the role and are not
intended to cover all of the duties performed within the scope of
- Actively support the mission, vision and goals of the Board,
College, President/CEO, and the Executive Leadership Team.
- Serve as the Senior Learning and Instructional Officer with the
primary responsibility for the College 's academic mission and
connection to the strategic vision.
- Serve as the liaison between faculty and the President/CEO to
support innovation and quality in present and future instructional
programs, curriculum and content, assessment, and student
- Work collaboratively across all relevant divisions to
understand labor market opportunities at the statewide and regional
level, identify skills and competencies to inform program
development, and help lead planning and development of effective
teaching and learning delivered in an online, asynchronous,
competency-based educational model that support the growth of the
college and outcomes for students.
- Establish strategic priorities, align organizational structure,
and make adjustments, as needed, to financial, human, technological
resources and supporting systems and processes.
- Work in coordination with the President/CEO and other senior
leaders to bring about measurable improvements in key performance
indicators for learning and student success.
- Cultivate a culture of learning and innovation and contribute
to supporting a college-wide culture of diversity, equity, and
- Provide leadership for instructional program planning and
development, educational policy, program assessment, faculty
evaluations, and faculty development consistent with the mission
and strategic vision of the College.
- Manage and oversee the development of division personnel to
support the success of the College 's vision.
- Regularly review student data and student outcomes to inform
program development, instructional support, and continuous
improvement. Support student-centered, data-driven decision-making
within the division and across the college.
- Serve as liaison regarding instructional matters with state and
federal entities, accrediting associations, public and private
higher education institutions, community organizations and
agencies, and business and industry.
- Collaborate with all relevant divisions in college-wide
processes including strategy development, operationally planning,
annual budgeting, etc. in a manner consistent with the college 's
mission and objectives.
- Partner with the colleagues to drive college-wide initiatives
reflecting the college 's vision that is centered on personalizing
the student experience; these initiatives also will address student
needs for encouragement, support, and meaningful preparation for
entering a career path.
- Represent the division with stakeholders, including the Board
of Trustees, partners and advocacy organizations, advisory
councils, and others.
- Performs other related duties as assigned that support the
objective of the position.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A history of innovation in developing and supporting
instructional programs that incorporate skills and competencies,
multiple assessment approaches, diverse stakeholder input, and
support student progress and success.
- Demonstrated ability to use data (e.g. labor market, shifting
demographics, employment forecasting) to identify opportunities for
innovative instructional programs responsive to the needs of adult
learners and the marketplace, as well as a track record of academic
transformation and knowledge of online, competency 'skills-based '
teaching, learning, and assessment strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate wrap-around student support
services and career preparation effectively with instructional
program delivery to achieve student success.
- Experience designing competency-based education and utilizing
quality frameworks in competency-based curriculum and
- Experience with online learning especially with working adult
- Knowledge and/or experience with andragogy, adult-focused
student learning outcomes theory and practice, online learning and
its application to the design of high-quality learning
- Experience promoting effective student learning, ensuring the
continual assessment of skills and competencies and learning
outcomes; and promoting instructional methods for enhancement and
- Experience managing faculty and staff, including practices of
organizational development, employee supervision, training,
evaluation principles, recognition, and progressive
- Demonstrated commitment, advocacy, and success in advancing
diversity, equity, and inclusion (e.g., recruitment and retention
of diverse faculty and staff; infusion of diversity and inclusion
teaching practices into the curriculum; promotion of a work
environment that is inclusive and collegial for all faculty, staff
- An experienced leader with demonstrated ability to balance
hands-on management with delegation of responsibilities, while
staying actively involved in all areas of responsibility,
anticipating needs, identifying issues impeding success, and
proposing creative, viable solutions.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with members of the
executive team, governing board, legislators, and business and
other community leaders; includes strong written and oral
communication and ability to prepare and present information and
- Knowledge of institutional accreditation processes.
- Commitment to participatory governance and a history of
consultative decision making.
- A collaborative team builder and leader who demonstrates strong
employee relations and encourages professional development in
managers and team members.
- Creative confidence and comfort with ambiguity and change
consistent with a start-up environment and can support others
- Ability to develop and maintain budgets, timelines, milestones,
and deliverables in a fast-paced environment, as well as establish
effective systems and processes for implementation and scale.
- Knowledge of State and Federal regulations regarding the array
of disciplines assigned, including the ability to read, interpret,
apply, and explain laws, guidelines, and regulations.
- Experience maintaining accurate documentation, records, and
reports required for compliance activities, and applying sound
judgment and discretion when handling sensitive and confidential
- Ability to effectively work in a remote environment, using
technology (e.g. Zoom, Slack, Google suite, Asana) to collaborate.
Able to travel as needed for in-person meetings.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for
the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and
cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of
community college students, staff, and faculty.Minimum
- A Master's degree; AND
- 7-10 years of experience in online learning and/or
competency-based education.4-5 years of leadership/management
Keywords: ExecuNet, Fresno , VP Learning & Instruction, Executive , Fresno, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!