Early and K12 Education Beat Reporter
Company: The Fresno Bee
Posted on: January 13, 2022
We're searching for a reporter to join The Fresno Bee's
Education Lab and cover early education and K-12 schools.
As an Education Lab reporter, you will be one of two beat reporters
on a four-person team. The other reporter covers higher education.
Both reporters work closely with an engagement reporter, who helps
build new communications channels and facilitates deep outreach
through crowdsourcing and in-person gatherings.
The successful candidate will have the skills to build sourcing,
break news, produce enterprise content, and build audience loyalty,
engagement and growth via a thorough understanding of the metrics
that drive them.
The team tells its stories through text and multimedia. Video and
audio will accompany most stories, and reporters should show the
ability to switch between formats as needed.
The education reporter reports to the Education Lab Editor. Spanish
language skills are a significant plus, please denote in your
- At least one year of full-time reporting experience, with
demonstrated success in accountability or watchdog work
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news
- Commitment to accurate, ethical journalism
- Ability to network and quickly establish sources
- Ability to use social media platforms such as Facebook and
Twitter to reach audiences
- Fluency in the science of readership and engagement, including
an understanding of how to use analytics such as pageviews, time on
site and referral sources to determine which stories
- Ability to tell stories using a variety of tools and platforms,
- Experience in learning new skills and technologies, including
content management systems, social media platforms, video editing
software, Omniture, Parse.ly, and other analytics tools and
emerging storytelling platforms
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability
to take and give constructive criticism
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in a job that will be
fast-paced, data-driven, shaped by feedback and experimentation and
Keywords: The Fresno Bee, Fresno , Early and K12 Education Beat Reporter, Education / Teaching , Fresno, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!